9.22.2011

The sound of darkness (The clockwork boxes 4)




Behind it I discerned the dark reflection of a railtrack line. I could hear from a distance the sound of the air caused by trains running on the rails one too close to the other. On the right, there was a small iron staircase which ended on a smaller platform. I went down carefully. Everything was creaking. Even the platform was moving gently, very very softly, like a floated raft, drifted by the sleeping water. I clenched tightly the staircase railing that was on the wall side  and I took a deep breath. The door closed behind me, either pushed by air or by a hand and I found myself in the total dark for a while with the clear sounds of the trains multiplied moaning  as they were touching the tracks. There was a train somewhere far but I sounded as if it was there, with me. And along with the metal clangs I could hear a strange whisper coming from many murmurs together. It was a thousand whispers as if thousands of people had been united in the dark under the earth surface, trying to race along the tracks, trying to be faster than the hissing distant echos of the trains.

I groped the wall and felt my blood leaving my body. I was scared to death. But why on earth had I gone there? This black darkness made me completely unable to direct myself properly, so as to return back to the small entrance door. I had two choices. Either would I stand there, still like a statue, praying for a  light or I would walk blindly, trying to find, on my own, the beam of the slightest light.

The more I was walking having my hands against the wall, the more I was praying that the platform not come to an abrupt end. I would find myself on the tracks or even worse in the depths of a gloomy well which would have opened its jaws especially for sucking me, twirling hungrily its dark tongue. As I was walking,  I understood that the platform was not a straight one but every now and then it turned slightly and it was full of curves and corners. I must have crossed quite a few metres, without knowing  at which place of the underground tube I was and most importantly where exactly I should go. And I had that strange feeling that the ground under my feet was becoming more and more slanting. In fact once or twice I slipped and  grabbed the wall. I was really desperate when my left hand, out of a sudden and while groping anguishly the wall, caught a metallic lump. I closed it in my palm to understand its shape. It looked like a small lever. This scared me more. What if by pulling that lever down, I would inadvertently open  the mouth of the evil monster which was waiting, hidden in the dark, for my wrong move to swallow me? Sweat droplets dribbled down my forehead. I swore at my stupidity which had sent me there and I decided to move on without pulling any lever. And the moment I was taking my hand away from the cold metal, I thought I heard something as crying. I didn’t need anything else to be absolutely frozen. It seemed as if time became still , that everything stopped to move, along with them my brain as well and that everything submerged in the absurd wilderness of that lament. My feet must have weighed more than all the trains  and my head was like an enormous bubble of void air. I was overwhelmed by chocking shouts which couldn’t come out of my throat. The cry became louder and there was no doubt that it was the cry of a baby or the cry of a lot of babies. I remembered all the stories I had heard for the Paris sewages. All who had descended down there, in the dedalus tunnels, got mad and were lost for ever, completely crazy from the cries of the unborn babies who had been thrown down in the drain system, haunting every pipe, every lid and every centimetre of the swamp down there.

Ah, I couldn’t take it any more! My hand pressed the lever down and in seconds the whole platform was lit by a dim yellowish light. I saw that there were also some other old  bulbs, nailed on the wall.

image: Fredrik Odman

No comments:

Post a Comment